Inspired by the fisherman of Brittany this simple top or dress could become a wardrobe staple. Slim fitted top our A line dress with an inside breast pocket and pockets in the side seams.
Skill level: Advanced beginner
This is a multi-size paper pattern in an envelope, including sizes 6 – 18. 1.5cm seam allowance is included in the pattern unless otherwise stated.
We recommend using 5 – 10oz non stretch denim, cotton chambray, cotton weaves, linen and corduroy.
You will also need:
- Matching thread
- Contrast thread
- 1 x button approx 15mm
A note about pre washing your denim if you are going to use a mid-heavy denim for your Francine:
We recommend pre washing your denim before sewing. Putting a large piece of medium-heavy weight denim into the washing machine can sometimes lead to white creases in the denim, this is because it is a stiff fabric so it doesn’t have room to move around. We recommend doing the following to help this not to happen:
- Wash your denim on its own for the first wash. You don’t need to use detergent if you don’t want to.
- Wet the fabric first before putting it into the drum.
- If you can break up your denim fabric into half this will help. Or if you have your pattern already you may be able to break it into smaller parts by looking at the lay plan – leave some wiggle room!
- For the first wash use a delicate 30 degree cycle with a low spin.
- If any white creases develop ironing whilst still damp will help.
- Do not tumble dry.
The Francine top is worn with the Clementine skirt in our gallery.
On piece 5, the numbers are printed the wrong way round, for example size 8 should say size 16.
At step 8 it should say ‘snip into the neck’ to match illustration.
The pocket should always be on the left hand side of garment.